Author photo by artist, Walter Bakowski

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pruning and sifting your poetry

When you've written poems for a few years, it's worth doing a count of certain words you've used. If get to the happy state of having a Selected Poems published you wouldn't want to see that you've used the word "banana" in nine of your poems. I've realised in my twenty-years of writing poetry I've now used the words "sparrow" and "sofa" enough. I'm going to consciously refrain from using those two words in poems. I've had my quota. If you keep using a word you're arguably resting on your laurels, kicking back in the same old comfort zone. Refresh your poetry with fresh for you words.

1 comment:

  1. ha, yes, quite right, lovely words though they are. I can see their allure. :)
    Maree Cardinale

    ReplyDelete